The Student Services Advisory Committee (SSAC) recognizes the need to support McMaster full-time undergraduate students and Recognized MSU student clubs/organizations and academic societies in pursuing extra-curricular endeavours. The SSAC has allocated a limited amount of funds to assist individual students and MSU recognized groups/organizations to achieve their goals.
The granting of funds to individuals or groups will be subject to the following criteria and guidelines:
Priority will be given to initiatives/activities/events that are:
- Of a significant educational or cultural value and be of interest to the McMaster community
- Primarily of benefit to McMaster students
- Accessible and open to all McMaster students
- Event must adhere to all McMaster Covid Policy Guidelines, including the Discretionary Event Policy, Student/Employee Vaccination Policy and Visitor/Volunteer Policy
- Applicants must be MSU members/recognized MSU club and/or a recognized academic society.
- Applications will be evaluated on the basis of their individual merits.
- A maximum of two applications per term by a student group will be considered for funding (exception where a student group is holding a week/month long program or campaign, one application is to be submitted for the full campaign.
- Requests must be for specific activities.
- Amounts allocated will be competitive depending on the number and quality of applications.
- Funding requests from students for activities operated by groups external to McMaster will be given consideration only if the activities are judged to be closely related to the educational development of students and have an appreciable McMaster focus.
- The number of times funds have been granted in the past four years.
- The amount requested.
- The extent to which the individuals/groups involved have themselves raised or will raise funds for the activity (monetary and/or non-monetary contributions).
- The clarity and completeness of the submission with respect to plans/details of the activity to be funded and a breakdown of the budget, including a list of sources of funds received and expected.
- The safety and liability risks for students and others participating in the activity must be ensured, and all events must be reviewed and approved by Risk Management and appropriate risk management protocols followed.
- Demonstrated ways the event is environmentally friendly/sustainable.
- Consideration for the ongoing financial sustainability of the event/program.
- Demonstrated commitment to the success of the program/event.
Allocation of funds will be restricted for:
- Individuals to attend a career / professional development conference
- Events held off campus or outside the Hamilton area. Note: As per the event policy, off campus events are not permitted until further notice
- Food and beverage costs for conferences/events
- No funds will go directly to a charity.
- No funds will go towards the purchase of equipment, staff costs, grad dinners, formals, club nights, catering for club meetings.
- No funds will go towards activities that in any way constitute part of the requirements of an academic course or degree program.
- No funds will go to pay for employment positions.
- Applicants who do not meet the conditions of previous funding as directed will not be considered for funding in the future.
- October 22, 2021 (for activities taking place September 9, 2021 to February 4, 2022)
- February 4, 2022 (for activities taking place February 5, 2022 to August 31, 2022)
- Funds are not guaranteed – the amount available may be exhausted at any time before the end of the academic year.
- MSU club applications – MSU club applications approved for funding will be issued a cheque and notified by the MSU when the cheque is ready to be picked up.
- Faculty Society (or sub-group) applications – Faculty Society (or sub-group) applications approved for funding will be issued a cheque payable to the group as noted on the application form. The Student Affairs Office will notify applicants when the cheque is ready to be picked.
Instructions for completing the application form
- Application form must be received on or before the posted deadline date. Applications outside of the posted deadline dates will not be considered.
- Download the application form.
- Application form must be submitted in Word format and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line USIF.
- Do not attach a separate budget or other documents.
Any questions can be sent to email@example.com.