The University will “close” because of severe winter weather when normal operation would pose a danger to students, staff and faculty (including Mohawk students at the Institute for Applied Health Sciences) while on campus or would prevent large numbers of them from coming to campus or returning safely to their homes.
When the University is “closed”:
- classes are not held
- meetings and other scheduled events are cancelled
- all areas and operations not defined as “essential” are closed
- examinations are cancelled and rescheduled
- deadlines for student assignments and other submissions due on a “closed” day are postponed until the same hour on the next academic day on which the University is not “closed”
- deadlines for job applications and other employment requirements are postponed to the same time on the next business day on which the University is not “closed”
Every effort will be made to confirm a closing by 5:30 a.m. When a closing has been confirmed, it will be communicated via the McMaster homepage, Daily News and on the University’s social media sites: facebook.com/mcmasteruniversity, twitter.com/McMasterU and twitter.com/McMasterUpdates and by Hamilton media (radio and television).
Faculty, staff and students are responsible for checking local media and the Daily News on stormy days.
If there is no specific announcement about McMaster being closed, then the University remains open.
Radio and television stations that may carry announcements regarding McMaster closing:
- OLDIES 1150 am/K LITE 102.9 fm
- CHAM 820 am
- CHML 900 am/Y108 107.9 fm
- CFMU 93.3 fm
- WAVE 94.7 fm
- CFMU 93.3 fm