University education requires long term commitment and planning. We would like to offer a few suggestions.
Encourage your student to:
- Apply annually for bursaries and scholarships.
- Visit a Student Awards and Loans Officer who will assist in planning a reasonable budget, and help navigate through the many government programs.
- Apply for jobs on campus – McWork and Ontario Work Study Programs – these may be more flexible and convenient than off-campus jobs.
- Prepare and follow a budget. There is a Student Budgeting and Money Management section available on the SFAS site. Visit the SFAS parent page.
- Talk with you about your own strategies and suggestions for coping and setting realistic short and long term financial goals.
- Consider the benefits and pitfalls of credit cards (credit cards are a good way to establish a credit rating, but students should be cautioned about credit cards and loans).
- Visit Mac’s Money Centre website.